Some cases of dementia are caused by medical conditions that can be treated and treatment can restore some or all mental function but most of the time dementia cannot be reversed.
If the cause of dementia cannot be treated, the physician will work with the resident and caregiver to develop a plan of care to make life easier and more comfortable. Care plans may include:
- Tips to help the resident be independent and manage daily life as long as possible
- Medicine - While medicines cannot cure dementia, they may improve mental function, mood or behavior
- Support and Counseling - A diagnosis of dementia can create feelings of anger, fear and anxiety. A resident in the early stage of the illness should seek emotional support from family, friends and perhaps a social worker experienced in working with residents who have dementia
Pain Management employs an interdisciplinary approach for easing the suffering and improving the quality of life of those living with pain.
Medicine treats injury and pathology to support and speed recovery; and treats distressing symptoms such as pain to relieve suffering during treatment and healing. When a painful injury or pathology is resistant to treatment and persists, when pain persists after the injury or pathology has healed, and when medical sciences cannot identify the cause of pain, the task of medicine is to relieve suffering. Treatment approaches to chronic pain may include pharmacologic measures, interventional procedures, physical therapy, physical exercise, and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Restorative nursing care is given by nursing personnel, who may be licensed or unlicensed. All residents will benefit from some type of restorative care, and their rehabilitation potential is not considered. Restorative nursing is offered for many reasons, including to:
- Improve the resident conditions
- Prevent further deterioration of condition
- Complement a concurrent therapy program
- Teach safety
- Prevent new or additional complications
- Help a resident adjust to new problems or limitations
- Improve quality of life